Monday, December 21, 2009

Paint Chipping with the Hair Spray Technique





UPDATE 12-21-09 : Painting the base...

Hello guys, I just got home from the grocery an hour ago and primed the base, I also gave it some battle damage effects with a soldering iron...

I usually use Bosny grey primer, but I decided I will try the hairspray technique used by other modellers like fichtenfoo...the hairspray technique will expose the first layer of paint, making it look like paint chipping. I used RJ primer red, coz it looks like rust in a way...First I did a preliminary coat of primer red just to see how the base looks like...




After the preliminary prime coat, I did some battle damage effects with my soldering iron...Notice that I melt areas that needed reinforement/more bonding...


I also stripped the end of the wires, exposing 3 smaller wires...looks more detailed now...



Then, I primed it again with another coat of primer red...it is still a bit wet in the pictures, but it will dry nice and flat later. Again, I plan to do the hairspray technique once the primer has fully dried and cured...will leave this overnight and do the technique soon...so, stay tuned. : )










UPDATE 12-22-09 : hairspray technique to simulate paint chipping effects...

Hello guys, I did the hairspray technique earlier...and I must say it looks good so far. I will then have to paint this further with my AB later...

The base...


I then sprayed hairspray to the whole base...



Then I sprayed the Bosny grey primer as the base color...



Notice that I did not spray much and left some crevices with the primer red color...looks ok to me. I let this dry for 10 minutes and brushed the dio with an old toothbrush dipped in tap water...thus exposing the first layer which looks like rust...









I am letting this dry under the sun right now...and will AB it as soon as it dries...

Hello again, I have painted the dio further...I just realized how big it is coz I ran out of ZIPPO lighter fluid...I AB some soot effects, white filters, enamel washes and some Tamiya weathering master....final coat is a mixture of Future and some Tamiya flat base...I will give it a flatter coat, once the weather clears...here is the progress...

Primer Red was coated with hairspray...


then, painted with primer gray after 10 minutes...


then, brushed off some grey paint at the edges with a wet brush...



Contrast is too much, so I painted the whole dio with a mist coat of flat white mixed with a drop of yellow and gray...


I then AB some soot effects using Tamiya smoke and then flat black...



I gave it some enamel washes after painting...first an enamel wash of flat brown with a 40: 60 ration...then, an enamel wash of flat earth with a ratio of 30:70 and soon after an enamel wash of flat black with a 20:80 ratio. I only applied the flat black wash on the corners and crevices unlike the flat brown and flat earth wherin I applied it geberously over the whole dio...




then, after 20 - 30 minutes, I applied some rust effects with my Tamiya weathering master sets...sealed it with a mixture of Future + Tamiya flat base with a 30:70 ratio ( 30 for the flat base )...Now here is how it looks ...












I think I over painted it, coz some of the paint chipping effects on the flat surfaces are not much visible in the photos...but some paint chipping effects on the tubes are still very much visible...


This is basically done, maybe a few touch ups of pastels or a few enamel washes will do...but will work on the PG Zeta now...Thanks for viewing! : )



Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...