Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Thursday, January 27, 2011

1/35 Tieren Ground Type WIP - paint chipping with Citadel paints


Just a quick Gunpla fix before going to work today. I am pretty sure you guys know how this paint chipping works by now. My most basic rule of doing this technique is to use acrylic based paints ( I use Citadel ). Citadel paints are a bit on the pricey side, but I love my Citadels very much and they are also perfect for detail painting.

Using acrylics for paint chipping will allow super fast drying time, and most importantly you could apply the enamel or oil paint washes afterward. The acrylic based paints would never be harmed by the oil based enamel washes thus you do not need to seal the paint chipping paints with clear coats.

The technique is fairly simple, just dub the sponge to the acrylic paint and dub it to the edges or surface of the kit. Make sure you rub the sponge in a towel or cloth first ( much like dry brushing ) so that there is just enough paint on the sponge before application. This takes a bit of practice but is really easy  and fun once you get the hang of it.

Honestly I usually tend to lose my patience while doing this and I tend to overdo it a bit ( but I enjoy it a lot ). I like the results though as I hate subtleties. I usually only use silver for the paint chipping effects, but tried to do dual color paint chips this time. I applied a rust colored paint first then applied a secondary silver paint chipping on the areas I think that are more prone to scratches.

The silver paint chipping represents the fresh scratches and the rust colored chips are mostly on the not so easy to reach areas. Up next is the enamel washes and that technique will bring out the crevices and details further and will give the kit its almost final look. I sure will re-construct these WIP posts to come up with a weathering tutorial afterwards so stay tuned guys. :)

Now here are some photos of the progress so far...







Thanks for dropping by! Til' next post! :)


No comments:

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS