Saturday, January 9, 2010

Exposing MG internals - Advance Tutorial


Hello guys! I reconstructed a portion of another old build to show how I do the exposed internal mods. I have this at Zerogunz, but it is under a 31 page WIP of my MG Dom, thus I thought creating a short tutorial really makes sense and would be hopefully beneficial to others. Anyways here are some pics...

NORMALLY, I just follow the design or pattern of the armor part and drill holes around it...Most MG armor parts has those designs on the other side of the armor and I just drill .5mm holes around the design...


Then , I clean it up with files and an art knife...




Onced the corners of the segments of the holes are cleaned, I put a Tamiya mesh underneath. The Tamiya mesh can be easily glued by Tamiya cement and conforms to the shape of the armor.



Then I do my usual pla plating...and prime it after to check for errors...






I then painted the internals silver and the armor in flat green...giving the look more depth and variation...


The above pics were from my original thread at ZeroGunz, but a summarized version of the WIP and the finished kit is HERE:



Another METHOD is if you want a custom shape for the holes and not follow the pattern underneath the part...

FIRST, you draw your desired shape with a pen / pencil...


Second, you scribe along the drawing with your scriber / engraver...the panel line will serve as your guide as you clean the holes...


Third, you drill .5mm or even .8mm holes around inside the scribed shape and NOT along the shape / panel line...


Fourth, you clean this up with files and an art knife...


LASTLY, add some mesh if you like, add pla plating and voila! it's done!





The above pics are from the original WIP thread at ZeroGunz, but I have here the summary of the wip and the finished kit also:

MG FAZZ summarized WIP

MG FAZZ ver DC23

You could also do the same technique in parts that does not have internals...I have here a collar / shoulder armor of my MG Dom...here are some pics...

Scribe...


drill holes...


clean up with artknife and files...


add pla plate underneath and some pla rods...



Voila! a custom part already!



My newest build used the same technique as what I did with the leg armors of the MG DOM, I just followed the pattern underneath the armor parts...here is the WIP and the finished kit...


MG Acguy WIP

MG Acguy ver DC23

EDIT: I have been using a Tamiya pinvise to bore all those holes on the armor parts which gets a bit painful and uncomfortable after sometime. So I highly recommend a rotary tool or a rotary tool with a drilling stand for faster and easier work for the task. I am now using a Hobbymate Micro2s Ultimate Set or the same modifications you see here. 


THANKS for viewing!!! :D