Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Monday, October 24, 2011

MG The O II build - base blue color painted


MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

My original plan was to give my The O II build a weathered yellow color scheme. In fact I practiced and studied doing weathering on a yellow painted kit in this build and this build. But for some weird reason, before I was about to put yellow paint in my airbrush cup... I suddenly thought of changing the color scheme of my The O II.

I think I could still apply the weathering techniques and the pigments I bought to this color scheme. The effect might be different or even not as good as painting and weathering a yellow mecha. But at least I have satisfied my objective of not giving it the ootb yellow color scheme. Just too much modifications to paint it in ootb colors.

Besides, I suddenly felt and thought that painting another yellow mecha is going to be boring as I have done it before. Not really sure on how I am going to pull off this blue color scheme though, but I hope I could pull enough rabbits in my weathering hat to at least not waste all the scratch building I have done so far.

I painted this with Bosny flat black ( industrial spray can ) before airbrushing the custom mix blue. The blue is basically a mixture of Tamiya flat blue and Tamiya medium blue. I did a bit of pre shading and left some black spots along the panel lines.

I am very excited to decal this tomorrow and weather those textures with enamels, Vallejo paints and Vallejo pigments. Weathering blue should hopefully be as fun as weathering yellow. I have sealed the flat paint with a few coats of Pledge Wipe and Shine, should do a few more coats to give it a very glossy surface for the decals tomorrow.

Wish me luck guys! Now here are a few crappy photos showing the pre shading and the color scheme...

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

MG The O II build - base blue color painted photo

Thanks as always for dropping by! Comments and crits are as always welcome! :)



4 comments:

MR_ZINC (AULON) said...

quite interesting chioce, was afried you gonna go with white :P

blue is a nice choice tough, silver chipping will definitly look boss :D

nota huge fan of zimmierit (and those welding lines) BUT those are personal preferences.

you know what? i wonder how it would look in red instead of blue (you did quite a few blue kits as well as yellow :P)

Roman Pieron said...

Hi Don, very nice blue colour! Now some post-shading and fading with lighter colours 8-))
I would like to ask - I see Paint Retarder on your desk, what's your experience with it ? Did it improve the painting process somehow ? Also did you add a clear gloss into blue ?
Thnx

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

@ Aulon, Nah, I have my MG Sazabi as white already...

Have you tried weathering Red? Red looks very dirty when weathered and rust colors does not show well through the red. FYI.

I have blue but I have NEVER weathered blue before. Painting blue and weathering blue is a totally different animal. LOL

@ Roman, the retarder gives you a smoother finish when using acrylics sir. I did not add gloss to the blue, I painted gloss coat after painting the blue to prep for decals.

Kamm said...

Good luck with this one Don. You should know I always respect your work... you were one of the first modellers to open my eyes to true art work!...

100% behind you mate. No fear!

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS