Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Toymaker versus DC23 face-off WIP - front skirts


MG The O II WIPPhoto

This is by far the most complicated scratch built box I have made so far since starting this hobby back in 2008 ( lol ). My primitive scratch building skills just would not allow me to get the look that I need with pla plates, thus I need lots of epoxy putty and hours of sanding to get these huge skirts to what it should look eventually.

I used 2mm and 1mm pla plates and just slapped them together to form the basic skirt shape. I then puttied up the corners and will sand all of the edges to match the look / design of the whole kit. I am actually pretty excited to sand those corners off, but I had to let the cement and the putty to fully cure before sanding.

I also did a quick back pack made of two empty deodorant bottles. I just slapped them together and will putty up the seam lines and alter the shape a little bit later. Again due to my not so advance scratch building skill... even though I am sort of copying " Kobayashi's " The O II design, I am actually producing something a little bit unique as I could never copy the exact designs in the book in the first place.

I am pretty happy with the overall look so far as it is now bigger than my MG Sazabi custom. After sanding these front skirts and forming the basic curvy shape for detailing much later in the build, I will then need to scratch build the shoulder armors and the foot parts.

I am slowly realizing that once I finish this build... I will only be using the internals / skeleton of the master grade the O. Anyways here are a few WIP photos of the build so far...

MG The O II WIPPhoto

MG The O II WIPPhoto

MG The O II WIPPhoto

MG The O II WIPPhoto

MG The O II WIPPhoto

MG The O II WIPPhoto

MG The O II WIPPhoto

A couple of Tamiya Epoxy should do the trick for the detail sculpting. To save money, I bought and will use the cheaper Pioneer Epoxy Putty for the rounding up of the basic shapes. A also got a tube of basic tamiya putty for all the errors that I will need to repair later in the build before detailing.

MG The O II WIPPhoto

Thanks for dropping by! Til' next post guys! :)


6 comments:

Aulon said...

only thing i'm worried about are ball joints conecting front skirts - u sure they will be up for the task? you are going to use loads of putty and as we know it is quite heavy

Kamm said...

GOGO gadget putty.

Looks amazing bro I can see your concept coming to life. This thing will be huGE! x

Darkworkx said...

@_@ I dont have any idea what is the difference of those putty aqua, steel, wood.

DC23 said...

steel is NO use as it hardens like steel and is very difficult to sand. Wood is best amongst the three, but I like aqua coz it's white. :)

DC23 said...

Thanks man, it will be my biggest build to date. :)

DC23 said...

Your right, I need to reinforce the dang thing. :)

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS