Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Friday, December 18, 2009

making simple dios for your Gunpla


 
Hello guys, I figured posting this simple tutorial here in my blog. I posted this topic last August 2009 in Zero G, my home forum...The bases you could buy for your gundam kits is a bit expensive for me, plus before... Bandai only produces simple bases, unlike now they have the Zeon logos and such as bases...which looks really cool. Anyways, here is a simple tutorial on how I create simple and cheap bases for my gunpla...

Materials you'll be needing...

- piece of wood for the base
- super glue
- epoxy clay
- rod ( clear acrylic, copper rod or stainless rod )
- real sand
- Elmer's wood glue / white glue
- Tamiya enamel paints
- ZIPPO lighter fluid ( cheap thinner for enamel paints )
- cheap acrylic paints used by students( Reeves and such )

 STEP 1: mounting the rod to the wooden base, bore a hole slightly smaller than the rod and superglue it there...then use an epoxy putty to reinforce the rod...

 
 

STEP 2:  laying in the groundwork...materials used, sand, pebble, woodglue, old brush and spray can cap...

 
 
Then mix evrything in the cup...try to achieve an oatmeal texture, the thicker the texture the faster the drying time...
 
 
Then apply the mixture with an old brush directly on the surface of the base...let it stand / dry overnight...actually it is visibly very obvious once dried...
 
 
 
 
Here are some battle damage effects done on the Freedom wing... I used soldering iron for the gun holes, my u-shape hasegawa chisel, Tamiya files and ordinary lighter to bend the wings...I also added some wires and internal damages with pla rods and plates...
 
 
 
 
 I then roughly painted the holes with black gundam marker and painted the edges with silver gundam marker...
 
 Well, that is about it...I will have to create another post on how I paint this with cheap acrylics...but here are some pictures of the finished and painted base...


 
 
 
 

HERE is the link ( in this site ) of the finished pics:

9 comments:

janus lu said...

This is cool! Good tutorial, bro. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thanks Janus! yeap...hope to see more dios from other modellers.thanks! : )

hunter's boot camp said...

THANK u, THANK u, THANK u
also... the wing part, it sounds painful D:
btw, do candle fire heat is more powerful than lighter's fire?
i tried bending a 1.7mm clear pla plate, and it require me to put it directly into the flame when i have to bend it, it just doesn't work if i didn't

Unknown said...

Ooooo poor freedom wing >___> I'm building one right now XD Anyways I haven't tried anything with modding yet and where can I get pla plate? Any tips on using it would be helpful :D

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

@ hunter....nope...candle and lighter is pretty much the same, i also had to put the lighter directly to the piece while bending it. :)

@ Chris, where are you from? I get my pla plates from a local hobby shop near my office...hmm, I use extensive amounts of pla plates in my wips man...you cut themp with your art knife and glue them with Tamiya cement. I'll be removing the seams of my SD Gouf soon and will take photos of that. :)

Anonymous said...

Dude this is an awesome tutorial! Bookmarked :D

Thanks for sharing such a detailed work in progress. I have a suggestion, maybe you can have a Tutorial subsection on the left side of your blog. In that way it is easier for people to find your very good tutorials :D But its just a suggestion haha so i'll leave it to you to decide ^^

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Sir can i ask a newbie question?? what paint colors did you used in painting this dio???

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Cheap acrylics like Reeves and Semco... then Tamiya Acrylics and Tamiya enamels. :)

sotanghon said...

hi good day, i'm a fan from philippines 

i have one simple question.how do i mount my gundam on the rod? and what kind of rods can i use.im new at this thing and been lurking in your blogspot for months now.i really find your blog informative. thanks for sharing whatever you know about gundams and diorama making.

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS