Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Saturday, November 20, 2010

my TOP10 most damaged parts of a Mecha


Damage effects are as subtle as paint chips and dry brushing or could be as worst as slashed melted armor, dents or even exposed internals. This list could be a nice simple guide for new modelers who wants to try battle damage effects and some weathering on their kit.

I will be putting some damage effects on the armor parts of my PG MKII commission build, and I suddenly thought of another TOP10 that could be helpful for new modelers. I for one could use this as a guide to remind myself not to over damage or over weather the whole kit.

The list is just the most logical ( for me ) parts that would acquire the most damage after and during a battle. Actually I only plan to put subtle damage effects on the PG MKII and some paint chips on the areas in this list.

Again, this list could serve as a nice guide for the most subtle weathering effects like dry brushing and paint chips. You could concentrate on these areas and gradually tone down the weathering on the areas / parts that are not listed here. If you plan a more battle worn mecha, just simply disregard this list and dip your kit in enamel paint. hihihi


( 1 ) SHIELD
Not in the line art below but obviously the part of the kit that will acquire the most damage is the shield. If the mecha has a shield ( most cases in Gundams ), the mecha will be protecting its shoulder armors and the rest of the upper torso including the head. Thus those parts will have the less damage effects.


( 2 ) FOOT armors
This is the most weathered and most damaged part of the mecha I think. Gundam alloy theory aside... it will look a bit more realistic if we put enough damages and weathering on the foot parts. Even flying mechas like Gundam Wing needs to land on its foot right?


( 1 ) REAR skirt armor
A bit of damage here would look cool, just assume that even Gundams gets hit on the butt sometimes.


( 2 ) KNEE armors
Much like the foot armors, the knee armors specially for ground type and melee mechas would have considerable amount of damages and weathering.


( 2 ) FOREARMS and ELBOW armors
This is specially applicable for ground type and melee mechas as well. Same as army men, elbows and forearms are used in battle very much. You even hit enemies with your elbows in melee combat sometimes.
Note: if the mecha has a shield on it's left arm... very minimal damage should be applied in the said forearm ( left ).


( 2 ) MANIPULATORS
much like the foot armors, the manipulators or hands should be heavily weathered and some damages like dents and scratches on the back of the hand should be very obvious.

The photo below shows a quick view on where to put the most weathering or damage effects in a kit. Gradually tone down the effects to the nearby parts and I think your kit will look extra cool.


As always, I do not claim expertise in the said topic. This is just a fun TOP10 list that I hope new modelers could find useful. If you are an expert modeler though, feel free to suggest or comment below... or better yet, create your own list. hihihi

Thanks for dropping by! Til' next post! :)

13 comments:

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

I think that most damage is on evrything that is stikicng out - fins etc, and it's good ta damagebig surpfarces just to make them more interesting also shot damage will appear first on the hild if said suit ahs it or on the main body and shoulders - easyiest to hit for body and shoulders when targret moves just before being hit

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

If I am going for normal damages and weathering I think this is the list... I really do think that as a pilot, I would be protecting my mecha's head, shoulders and upper torso with my shield as much as I can. ;)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

YOu need to think first where is pilot located, then my gnerator and then weapons, that's what I would do at least ;]

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Yeah, agree... In Gundams case... it is almost always in the torso area. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Nice guide, but I can't help but think rare skirt armour is a bit of a stretch. That aside, I agree with most other things you've pointed out. In all honesty, I've never thought about the wrist being one of the more damaged parts, but it does make sense. Also, in case of kicking pilots like Char, and Setsuna, shouldn't the ankle also have a bit of weathering as well?

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Agree, I just like the butt dirty. hihi... The ankles on the other hand could have damages as well... but I think the damages on the ankles are just spill overs from the foot damages. ;)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Well since we are on the topic, I would suggest too anyone doing lazer burns with a soddering
iron or hot screw driver to consider smoothing and chipping away that big glob of melted plastic
that is left around the hole. Basically If you BLEND that glob into the effected area and add some dark and silvered weathering it looks much more convincing.

I have seen some kits done this way and there is a youtube video out there as well which shows
the effect looking much more realistic.

Hope you don't mind too much bro.

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Sweet! thanks Kriz! perfect timing I am about to apply a few on the shield. ;)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

i would have to agree on the rear skirt damage, seldom from weapon damag but maybe more from either falling onto said gundams hinny, or being put on his hinny

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Exactly... hehehe

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Weathering in itself could basically apply anywhere on the body so long as the mech is exposed to the elements, right? It would also depend on what type of environment the mech frequents.

That said, I think the legs are some of the most weathered parts of a planetary mech - especially the feet & knees. A Gundam ground type would have heavily weathered/scratched-up feet & ankles from trudging through mud, sand and all sorts of jungle terrain. The knees will have severe stress from kneeling when it fires it's howitzer. Most of the bottom half would have lots of rust smudges from traversing through deep rivers.

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Totally agree! I created this list to serve as a quick guide so that your weathering would create variations. You do not want a kit that looks like it was simply soaked in paint. ;)

Dingo said...

( 2 ) FOOT armors
This is the most weathered and most damaged part of the mecha I think. Gundam alloy theory aside... it will look a bit more realistic if we put enough damages and weathering on the foot parts. Even flying mechas like Gundam Wing needs to land on its foot right?

Just re-read your guides in the celebration of your coming back. I chuckled a bit of Wing Gundam lands on its face. :D

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS