Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Painting and Weathering Simplified


Not a perfect build for a tutorial but I learned and experienced a few techniques during this build, thus I thought it could be a nice guide for people who are just starting into modeling or Gundam plastic modeling. All of the techniques like the weld effects, enamel washes and damaging have their own tutorial posts in my TUTORIAL page already. But a new entry on painting and weathering as a tutorial would not hurt I guess.

This also serves as my usual WIP summary every time I finish a build and I have too much multiple work in progress posts on this very simple and quick build, reconstructing all those posts into one is a bit more practical for readers to access. Now lets go through the build with some selected photos and some short capsules...

1. Pre - painting >>>
Remove seam lines, sand of nub marks, modify the kit to your liking or concept , and add some battle damage effects if you like.









2. Painting >>> 
After modifying, cleaning up the kit and prepping it for painting, I always PRIME it first with Bosney grey primer, let the primer cure overnight then paint the base color ( in this case yellow and grays ). Basic TIP: Always give yellow and red paints a white BASE color after priming. Without a white base, the red and yellow paints will come out darker and not as vibrant as it should be.







3. Weathering >>>
This always sounds complicated but weathering is just basically picking the right colors to compliment your base color and your diorama if you have one. I experimented with this build by using two tone paint chipping effects. I like the outcome very much so I might try a three tone paint chipping in my next weathered build.

I always use Citadel ( acrylic ) paints for my paint chipping and then use Tamiya enamel for my washes. No need to seal the kit after paint chipping as the enamel thinner ( even Zippo ) does not harm the acrylics underneath.

Note: I should have used a dark colored paint for the paint chip effects of the light grey gun / rifle. The silver is just too subtle in the final photos making the gun look a ton cleaner than the yellow parts. As I always say, I hate subtleties so I was surprised myself to have opted for the subtle effects of silver on the light grey gun. It looks ok in real life though.















That is about it guys! Gunpla is so much fun! Weathering and painting is simple it just sounds complicated when people start calling washes " filtering " even though filtering is different.

Note: I sprayed a thin layer of clear RED over the yellow parts giving it a more orange tone in the final photos. I think that is called filtering. 

What is the difference between filtering and washes??? I think washes are meant to build up in the crevices and details of the kit WHILE filtering is simply adding a layer of color to alter the tone a bit. Filtering is either airbrushed or a special kind of paint that I do not have could be applied through hand brushing.

Don't bother with filtering yet, practice the washes and you'll achieve pretty good results with your build. As always, Just have fun and enjoy the hobby guys!


Thanks for dropping by! Til next post! :)



11 comments:

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Wow... using sponge makes very nice weathering effects XD I thought u use brush ^^;;

Thanks for this great tutorial XD, I learned new stuff today woot~

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Glad you picked up something bro... just learned it from master FichtenFoo myself. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

That's what I like about your blog and I guess everybody else. You get to simplify things to get your killer results! Thanks man! From all of us newbies...

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thanks! Blogging is Sharing bro, just doing my part in this big Gunpla community. I do have simple methods as I still consider my self a student of the hobby, Still so much to learn making the hobby a lot more worth while. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

For weathering, I do the usual dents and texture. Though when I drybrush, I just use a rough brush as it gives me more control. What are those square Tamiya jars? We don't have them here in Vancouver

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

I find the sponge for the paint chipping a little more fun than dry brushing bro. The square jar is the enamel thinner. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Great TUt Donc. I have all the tools to weather such as oils, pigments, enamels and such but only have attempted it on my Markov. Weathering scares me terribly for some reason but seeing your chipping technique looks simple yet very effective. Great job on this build. With the figure sticking out it gives it a M.a.K feel.

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

BUT your Markov is stunning bro! Hope to see you weather more... I love weathered builds as you could take extreme close ups of the parts of the kit and always see different paint chipping patterns and damaging. Thanks, I have yet to get my hands on a Ma.K one of these days but it is not readily available here though. :)

cid said...

hi dc! where could i get a hold of this citadel paints here in manila? thanks!

DC23 said...

Any Games Workshop store bro, I get mine at Greenhills and Trinoma.

lance said...

thanks for the wonderful tutorial. do you create the those yellow human, guns and square boxes?
what is the yellow stuff?

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS