Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Thursday, April 10, 2014

RG Zaku Diorama " The Old Guard " verDC23


RG Zaku Diorama

It has been sooooooo long since I finished a Gunpla. My very last Gunpla project was my The O II diorama  back in 2010. It was a build intended for my Face-Off against my good friend Kenny Lim aka Toymaker. Kenny as expected got the upper hand ( LOL ).

This project is my very first diorama after 3 years of hiatus and this is also my very first build as a member of TEAM NEXUS!

Basically  this is just a practice build as I have not done any projects ( even non-gunpla ) projects for a while. Just testing the waters if I can still do Gunpla and if I will still enjoy it. Even though this is only a practice build, I wanted to make it a bit special as this RG Zaku was a gift given by Edmund of HobbyMate, Kenny, YiHui and Ben back when they attended our old MAC forums anniversary party.

Anyways, this was fully hand painted ( except the primer ) with VALLEJO paints. I primed it with Bosny grey primer ( spray can ) and used Vallejo Model Color, Vallejo Game Color, Vallejo Water Effects, Vallejo Pigments and Vallejo Washes. The finish is a bit satin on the RG itself, matte on the groundwork and extremely glossy on the water effects. I have yet to cover this with Vallejo Matte Varnish ( except the beach ) as I've said I have yet to buy a new airbrush.

I was having a hard time getting the correct white balance during the photoshoot. My iphone kept on giving me a different balance whenever I point it towards the Zaku versus the groundwork. Out of frustration, I recorded a short video and post it in my Instagram account. Do check the video out guys!


This was a confidence gaining build as I thought I might not be good ( or at least decent ) in building Gunpla anymore. I guess I am ready to pick up my pending commission works now. :)


RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

RG Zaku Diorama

Thanks as always for dropping by! Just enjoy the hobby! :)

2 comments:

Dingo said...

It's a great piece skill wise, but I think it lacks story in it (which might be one of the key points for dio build in my book). The suit does not shown enough wear and tear, so i imagined it was still function when it rushed in and block the bolder for whatever below it. The pilot might want to leave the suit in that state if he found out he could not move it out of position. In my opinion, the cockpit should be in open state.

To put in more drama in the build, I think if the suit is in kneeling position have a bigger impact of scale and weight of the land slide. Just my two cents.

Again, I know this is just you testing the water for your grand coming back, and the skill is top notched. Please disregard my comment if it cause negative impact. (I'm having a bad day at work, so it might spread the mood to you).

Cheers,

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

I totally agree Dingo! I was suppose to add lots of figures panicking, but realized it is just a practice build so I got lazy!

Hope you have a better time ahead of you sir. :)

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS