Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

1/30 Starcraft diorama WIP - Zerg painted


This was my first time to paint a creature with an airbrush as this Zerg was originally hand painted 15 years ago. I must say I had so much fun I think I should do this more often. I still struggled painting those small skin patterns but I got the hang of it as I went along.

After priming the Zerg grey, I then post shaded the crevices with flat black and then gave it some nice thin coats of dark yellow paints. I then used browns that were thinned so much to make it very transparent and painted the skin patterns. The main Zerg skin is basically lots and lots of layers of transparent ( due to thinning ) earth colored paints.

I then moved on to spraying clear red over the red parts and also gave the whole kit a mist coat of clear green. The clear green is meant to kill the vibrance of the red and to give the skin tone a greenish reptile feel to it. I then gave the kit 3 layers of RED future to blend all the colors together.

I will now have to detail paint the eyes and teeth and maybe some more skin patterns and give the whole Zerg some enamel washes to make the texture really pop out. Anyways, here is my first attempt on creature painting...












Thanks for dropping by! Til' next update! :)



14 comments:

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

ASTIG SIR ! KEEP IT UP ! will wait for this one . :D

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Napatagalog ka bro! hehehe...salamats! :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

nice and jucky :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thanks man! what's jucky??? :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Not bad. You really brought out the texture and shine of the Hydralisk exoskeleton.

BTW, do you plan on marking some bullet holes on the kit? :D

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thanks! It is still too shiny as it is prepped for enamel washes. Hopefully it would look better once I have given it it's final satin / semi gloss coat.

Not sure with the bullet holes as this is made of rubber... not sure but I ant to put blood and stuff. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Wow Don, the skin patterns are just amazing!
I also like how you managed to make it look all slimy. :D

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Shiny shiny! Looks awesome Don!... love the patterns on the skin bro. Your leveling up every time you work on somthing. Jealous :(

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

I like the texture. Nakakadiring tignan!

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

very slimy like a real dead Zerg should look like xD..

can't wait to see the final result :D

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

It's the gloss coat but will tame down the gloss finish to semi gloss and see if the details and textures pop out better. Thanks bro! :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

You are progressing fast yourself man! Thanks! :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

My wife and 3 kids does not want to get near it actually. They said it looks like a frog. hehe :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thanks! Still trying to convince myself not to modify the Terran and keep it ootb. :)

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS