Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Sunday, December 5, 2010

best Art Knife in town!


I just bought the BEST art knife in town! For those handful of people who really follows my blog, I broke my Tamiya design knife while I was working with a diorama. Tamiya design knives are expensive  though, thus I settled to use my old X-Acto knives for a while.

I do not claim expertise in art knives though I have been using all sorts of these precision cutting tools even the swivel types for 15+ years now. I have been using this tools for Gunpla for almost 3 years only but I do cut a lot of pla plates to say the least.

Anyways, let me compare X-Acto knives with Tamiya design knives and why I love my Tamiya over the normal X-Actos. Tamiya design knives are thinner than X-Acto blades, thus they cut through Gunpla better than X-Actos. Their thin blades smoothly cuts through plastic unlike the thicker X-Acto blades which always leaves white marks on the plastic.

Tamiya design knives does not corrode as fast like X-acto blades does and thus Tamiya blades stay sharp longer than the X-Acto variety. The smaller Tamiya blades are easier to handle for precision cutting unlike the bigger X-Acto blades which are only good for trimming.

Basically, IMO... Tamiya design knives / blades are made for precision cutting and X-Acto knives / blades are perfect for general trimming and cutting only.

HOWEVER, Tamiya design knives are way too expensive. They cost around 600 to 800 Php ( not sure ) while X-Acto knives costs only around 200 Php. Thus, I found the BEST art knives in town today!

The NT cutter D-300P Art Knife!

Why is it the best art knife? I have around 30 pieces of Tamiya replacement blades in my tool box and they work perfectly with the NT cutter. Actually the Tamiya design knife and the replacement blades are manufactured by OLFA. So if you could find an Olfa knife handle that is compatible with these small blades...then that is the perfect Art Knife. hehe

The D-300P costs 207 Php only and it came with 10 new replacement blades and a cap. I love the size of the handle and the slight texture on it that will reduce slippage much like the grooves on the handle of the Tamiya design knife.

The rest of the photos shows you the whole story... btw, X-Acto blades are made in the US, Olfa, NT cutter and Tamiya are all made in Japan. ;)












Now if you have the D-300P NT precision cutter, you could buy the Tamiya replacement blades to use with it. Getting replacement D-300P is better. That is if you find some coz they are more difficult to find than the Tamiya replacement blades.

The Tamiya replacement blades costs around 200+ Php and it contains 50 new 30 degree angled blades!
So again, grab a NT cutter precision blade and buy the Tamiya replacement blades for it. ;)



Hope you'll find this post useful... I am off to cutting pla plates now. ;D

11 comments:

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Ok, where do you buy it? Thanks

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

I got it at Office Warehouse at SM Fairview... none of this at National Bookstore SM Fairview. btw, it looks really nice, it has a translucent white handle and a nice grip. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Ang layo... hehe. I'll try to look for it in a nearby Office Warehouse. Thanks, Don!

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

hehehe... might be available in other National bookstores though. welcome sir. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

I was able to get this at National Bookstore in Trinoma. They still have a couple of stocks when I got mine yesterday.

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

That is great news then... will horde the other stocks ( joke ). :D

Ride_decade said...

haha gm tristan pla eh nag ggunpla dn...btw valk server here

lanzweirdo said...

nice tip here.. already have the NT cutter.. the blade does corrode easily, but it is packed with 10 extra blades.. so i guess, once all of them has been used/abused.. i might grab tamiya's blade replacement.. thanks again!!

wilvic said...

..sir don, may nbli aq prang gnyan din n hobby knife, pero china made un,sa divi, 150 php, I will try to buy Tamiya replacement and see if it will fit,kasi s tingin ko preho sila ng size nung blade n kasama nun eh..just sharing baka kasi un iba di makakita nyan,sa divi,sa 168 mall,pasilio 1v ko nabili un

Anonymous said...

Ang mahal pala neto. Nagtanong ako kanina sa national books store 386 pesos.

asheeontheroad said...

Thanks for this great tip. Bought one for P207 sa National Glorietta 2 kanina. Cuts like a charm. :)

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS