Search This Blog

DC23 Clothing

DC23 Clothing
Find Us At Facebook

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Finemolds 1/72 Star Wars X-Wing Fighter

click image to enlarge to wallpaper size

I have been working with this beautiful kit for a few days now ( or a week ) and this kit has been my project during our Skyping sessions. I highly recommend this 1/72 kit by Finemolds as I honestly think a first time 9 year old kid could produce great results with this.

I desperately painted the pilot with red and yellow markers to produce orange as I did not have any orange paint last night. I painted the pilot visors with Citadel Bronze, painted the gloves and boots with black fine Gundam markers and gave it a flat brown enamel wash. It came out ok I think as it ill be covered by a tinted cockpit cover anyways.

I made a few booboos during the build but I really enjoyed this kit so much. My base paint had some nasty small orange peels thus I opted to sand the whole kit. The sanding exposed some of the original plastic and chipped away some decals. I like the effect so much I will always sand down kits that I plan to weather from now on. It is I think a great way to show some natural looking chipping effects. 

I also sprayed too much Tamiya smoke as I was eager to finish the kit already. It is a major booboo in a way coz you cannot barely see the pilot because of the heavy tinting. The overall grey color is a bit too dark for my taste too but it looks ok in the photos. I also needed to reduce the amount of grains in the background of the photos so I needed to photoshop the pics a bit more than usual.

So many booboos for a simple relax build but I had so much fun building this. I am now thinking of getting a Tie fighter to accompany this in a small diorama soon. Now here are tons of photos of my first Star Wars model kit and my second finished kit of 2011...






























Thanks for dropping by! Til' next completed kit guys! :)




8 comments:

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Miss this post just now. Very nice, now even more inspired to start working on my kits. Great job. (Thumps up)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Ah, you DID make it brown in colour (for some odd reasons, my comment on a previous post when missing).

Love the paint scratches and the weathering effects, really blends in together.
Is it me or the canopy is totally opaque? =/
I recalled in the movies, it was at 60% opacity the glass. IMO.

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thank you sir... did a few mistakes though, but ill hope to do better on my next. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

Thanks man! The canopy as painted ith Tamiya smoke, so its actually transparent a bit, I just don't have enough lighting to show. BUT I kinda overdid it making it look opaque. My bad. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

hmm how come my prediction of the Tie Fighter is slowly coming true? xD

but anyways nice job boss DC the kit looks better now..

also kinda inspired me to paint my kits aside from panel lining, especially for the BMKWC this year

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

What prediction bro??? Goodluck to your BMKWC entry then. :)

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

my prediction of buying a Tie Fighter xD

and yea thanks... gotta say I was just messing around last time as to this year I'm really going to give effort to it!!

Don Suratos ( DC23 ) said...

hehehe, not in my top priority yet, but will do!

Goodluck then! :)

Featured Post

Vallejo Mecha Color EXPLAINED

As usual, pardon for the selfies as I desperately try to get comfortable in front of the camera, for my new YouTube channel .  Le...

TOP POSTS